You’ve got a lot of clutter in your home that you want to put into storage, but how do you start the process?
One of the first steps you should take when deciding to invest in self-storage is figuring out exactly what type of storage unit you need to house your personal belongings. Self-storage isn’t some cookie-cutter process – your possessions are unique, and you’ll want a unit that takes care of your specific needs.
Start by making an inventory list of the items you want to put into storage. Once you have an idea of what will go in the unit, it will be easier to determine what you should be looking for.
Consider all of the following different features of a storage unit:
- Size – You need a unit that fits the volume of boxes and trinkets you plan on storing, plus a little room to grow as you obtain more items.
- Time frame – Figure out how long you plan on storing these items. Is it for a quick length of time, or do you need long-term?
- Location – Storage Center has facilities all over Martinsville; find the location closest to you for the most convenience.
- Cost – Determine your budget before looking into storage units so you know what you can afford.
- Temperature – If you have any temperature-sensitive belongings that need special care, you may want to look into climate-controlled storage units.
- Accessibility – You want a storage unit that is easy to access so it’s not a chore trying to get to it and fill it up/clean it out.
- Safety – Security is important in a facility to make sure your belongings are protected from harm.
Outdoor Vs. Indoor Self-Storage Units
Another important decision you have to make when figuring out what storage unit to invest in is whether or not you want the facility to be indoor or outdoor.
Indoor facilities are built like a hotel, where you walk down hallways and pass by doors that lead into units. Outdoor is a bit different – typically the property has multiple buildings with a certain number of units in each one that is accessible from the outside.
There are pros and cons to both:
- Very accessible. You can drive right up to the door of your unit.
- Convenient. Its accessibility means you don’t have to make multiple trips to your vehicle.
- Affordable. Outdoor units are typically less expensive.
These units are usually more susceptible to the weather. Depending on what items you plan on storing, they may not be able to withstand extreme weather exposure and can get damaged from the cold temperatures, moisture, sand or more.
- Weather resistant. Being inside means your unit won’t see any form of weather that could slip through cracks and ruin your belongings.
- Temperature controlled. The temperature inside the unit is regulated to a safe degree that won’t harm any type of material.
- Better security. All storage units have some level of security protection, but when everything is under the same roof it’s easier to have successful surveillance.
These units are more expensive due to the energy it takes to regulate your unit’s temperatures. Also, some indoor facilities have multiple floors or narrow hallways, which could be difficult to maneuver when carrying heavy boxes or furniture.
Get Affordable Storage Solutions in Martinsville, VA
Once you’ve determined what your needs are, it’s time to start searching for a facility that checks off all your boxes.
Storage Center has several self-storage facilities located throughout Martinsville, both indoor and outdoor. Whichever type of unit you decide to invest in, we’re sure to have the perfect match.
Every one of our facilities is fully equipped with video surveillance and other top-notch security measures. We also have plenty of climate-controlled storage options.
Give us a call today at 276-670-7867 and see if we have a unit available that’s to your liking.