Are you in need of a proper storage solution to declutter your home? How about somewhere to put your family heirlooms that will keep them safe?
If you’ve done your research, then you’ve probably seen several higher-end storage facilities offering climate-controlled storage for some of their units. The name explains itself, but what exactly does it mean for your valuables?
Climate-controlled storage, also known as temperature-controlled, is a specific type of storage unit that maintains regular temperature and humidity levels at all times.
This control prevents humidity and unwanted moisture build up that can occur in an uncontrolled temperature environment. It also prevents your unit from getting too hot or too cold. In doing so, it protects everything you’re storing in the unit from getting damaged by neglectful conditions.
Most indoor storage facilities offer climate-controlled units with a working and regulated thermostat, though some outdoor locations have them as well.
Common Items that Require Temperature Control
Any item that needs to be put in storage will benefit from a climate-controlled unit, but certain items made from sensitive or fragile material require it if you don’t want them to damage over time. Here are a few common ones:
- Electronics (DVDs, records, TVs, radios)
- Furniture (specifically wood, metal, leather or upholstery)
- Household appliances
If you don’t take care of these materials and let them sit in varying temperatures, they could crack, break, warp, rust, fade or more.
Why You Should Invest in Climate-Controlled Storage
Even though climate-controlled units are more expensive, they are the better investment for your property. With climate control, you can guarantee a safe environment for your valuables and prevent them from getting ruined.
Your family heirlooms and passed down antiques are priceless. Invest in climate control to protect them and save money by not having to replace damaged possessions.
You should consider a climate-controlled storage unit if:
- You are storing items for an extended amount of time – If you plan to store your items for a year or longer, your unit will go through a range of temperatures as seasons pass. These extreme temperature shifts could cause problems and damage your belongings.
- You live in a warm or high humidity climate – Martinsville can be prone to high heat and humidity in the summer. These elements can creep into your unit and damage your items. Especially if the humidity causes moisture problems that lead to water damage and mold growth.
- You are storing easily breakable items – As mentioned above, some materials are more fragile than others. The best way to prevent your hand-crafted dishes from breaking or wooden dressers from warping is by regulating their environment.
- You are storing collectibles, antiques or irreplaceable items – Your most precious belongings should be cared for so they don’t get ruined. Whether they have monetary or sentimental value, you should take the extra steps necessary to protect them from the elements.
Climate-controlled storage is your safest option for protecting your personal belongings.
Climate-Controlled Storage Options in Martinsville, VA
Are you interested in a climate-controlled storage unit?
Storage Center has multiple indoor storage facilities in Martinsville that all have climate control for your personal belongings. You can check to see if there are any available at our indoor locations:
Storage Center is Martinsville’s best, premier storage option for those who need quality storage solutions for their most precious belongings. All of our climate-controlled units are completely indoors to offer increased protection of your valuables and make it easier to move during inclement weather.
Contact us for more information on our climate-controlled units and see if we have the right fit for you.